Possible leaking water main - a few questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps,

I noticed last week that my neighbours porch was flooded and on closer look saw that water was coming up through his flower bed (like a natural spring). He owns the house as a second home so wasn't that bothered when i pointed out that it's possibly a leaky water main.

However, over the weekend i noticed that a patch of my front garden (about 15 foot from his leak) has started to get really wet to the point now that its a puddle. The area is only about a meter square and has gradually got worse snce noticing his leak. Could these two be linked?

I had a theory that maybe the water main flows through my garden to his house and wondered if the water pipe is in a conduit under ground that could have filled up and flooded my garden too?

Any info on the above or how these pipes are laid would be really handy (before i call the water board in a bit).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
think its a bit more than a coincidence, if neighbour isnt there can you turn off his water in the road and see if level/flooding subsides.

Thats what i thought. I dont have the tool to turn the stop cok in the road though, can i buy them from a plumbers merchant?

I just dont get how my lawn is flooded when the leak "appears" to be on his property.

Sponsored Links
Best to have look to see what type of stop cock is down there. modern ones are plastic and bulky. you might be able to reach it.
Failing that you could try a piece of wood approx 3in by 2in and 3ft long. just cut a deep vee shape at one end.
You can get a tool from B & Q warehouse , cost about £15 I think.
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back