Pottern combi 80 Gives Raw Gas Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Pottern combi 80 was working fine till yesterday, I opened it to service it and now I got problem. When I open the hot water tap, it locks out after few seconds and it gives raw gas smell. Interesting thing is that if I remove the casing of heat exchanger, then all works fine. Can any body help.

MOD

see 1a

Sponsored Links
Turn it off,and get a qualified gas/heating engineer.Possible RIP if u dont.

Sponsored Links
fitz1 said:
REST IN PEACE. i.e DEAD
Oh is it that bad. But what can be the cause. I didn't change anything.
I will be thankful for your help.

Ragards

Kevin because that is what some do and call it service. It is an education thing when a customers see a proper service and never goes back to 15-minute-service-let-us-have-the-money.

Here we have a 'competent DIYer' who thinks he knows how to service the boiler.

because a man/women with a hoover looks more prof than a person with a paintbrush,i remember many years ago doing contract servicing a Big Gas company had the contract for years and lost it along we came and serviced the whole estate bbu and the odd w2000,on entering the properties the first thing noticed was no permanet vent ok phone call to office no leave them working
remove the fire front tenant asks what you doing?servicing the boiler ok no it is not came the reply,i have lived here for the last 10 years and i have never seen an engineer remove the fire are you sure you know what you are doing at every step of the service questions were asked at the end of the job i asked where the gas meter was again why, explained that i needed to check for leaks and carry out a soundness test in essence the boilers had never been serviced correctly for at least 3 years[term of contract] this was common on all the estates as well as numerous other defects ALL SAFETY RELATED this is not a dig at the company because their were 2/3 other companies involved at the same time.glad to be away from all the petty politics involved with contract maintenace and the low prices paid to the people who have to do the work and take the can when it all goes belly up rant over :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Visited a gas fire the other day. It had been serviced every year and had someone else do all the landlords checks. Landlord's appliance. But it hadn't been off the wall in 12 years.

Went to an Ariston which had just been serviced by an Ariston engineer cos it wasn't staying on. It needed the ignition bits cleaning but you could tell from the glue muck they use to stick the combustion chamber front on , that it NEVER been off.

BG condemned a boiler as beyond economic repair and Immediately Dangerous because it wouldn't light properly ("It might explode"). The HT lead was shorting to earth.

It's true what they say on telly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back