Potterton 80 E Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

wonderd if someone could help with a problem that we're having. I've scoured the other posts and it seems to have similarities although not exactly the same.

Here goes:

Recently turned on the central heating, worked fine for a day or two. then no hot water or heating. so checked the boiler and the lockout light had come on. reset it and got the good lady to switch the hot water on. At first the water was Boiling, almost steaming,then it settles down to normal temprature. Switch the water off and the pressure release valve at the top left hand corner of the boilerr starts to expel steam through the little screw (The one the manual tells you to leave loose ). The heating was set to timer onm the boiler. I reset the boiler and the same happens. Today, I switched the central heating off, at the timer switch and so far, two showers and a bit of washing up, there's no problems.

I bled the rads, there was a bit of air in them but nothing major. So.. it seems that hot water on it's own is fine, but with both switched on it goes into kettle mode.

Could anyone give me any clues as to what I should be looking for ?

Ps The pressure is ok.

Many thanks

Mike, The missus and 2 kids.

:cry: :?:

Sponsored Links
That isn't a pressure relief valve if it's the one I think you mean, it's an auto air vent. They clog up and leak. You can use a generic new one - £5.

So why's it locking up ? Overheating has a dozen causes. Until it's a bit more reliably faulty it's going to be hard to mend!

Thanks for that Chris

Not being a heating technician nor a plumber I was unsure of the correct description of the part mentioned, although perhaps slightly better than
" The copper bit at the top, with the black screw thing in it" I tried to describe the location in the hope that someone like yourself would identify the correct name for the offending part. Cheers ! :rolleyes:

Actually managed to sort it out this afternoon. It turns out it was the CH pump. Loosened the plastic nut in the centre of the pump and it started whizzing away.. Hey presto, hot water AND Central heating. Has been on now for about 5 hours and it all seems ok. It made sense after that, the pressure was building up in the boiler because the hot water for the rads had no where to go, and thus the kettle like symptoms,

Thanks for your help :D

mikey have heat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back