Potterton Combi 80 woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I'm having a problem with the old boiler ( not her in doors :D )
I've got a Potterton Combi 80 (GC # 47-393-03) that's about 3 years old, and a couple of months ago it started throwing the odd lock out when asking for HW. Press the reset and it worked ok. Now it's getting worse. Now every time I turn on the HW the ignition ticks away merrily to itself until lockout and now it has to be reset about 6 times until it lights. Electric side all checks out, and gas pressure at the meter is fine. I think its the gas valve that's gone and just want an second opinion as it's a blummin expensive part if I'm wrong and I'm missing something simple.
Many thanks for any help
Simon

Sponsored Links
You don't say how you measured the gas pressure at the meter? If you suspect the gas valve you need to measure the gas pressure after the gas valve.

This is normally a job for a CORGI registered engineer.

Puma gas valves rarely fail but are expensive if they do!

Tony Glazier

check the overheat stat isnt faulty as this interupts the gas supply to the burner :idea:

also it is more than likely just one of the solenoids on the gas valve thats faulty and are sold seperately so check these first using your multimeter :confused:

Hi Tony,
Got a mate (Transco bod) in to check the pressure from the meter but he knows nothing about these boilers.

Hi Gaz,
checked the solenoids and they work ok, even took the gas valve to bits and powered everything up to make sure they were pulling the gizmos ok.
I'll check the overheat stat in a mo.

Many thanks guys
Simon

Sponsored Links
just cause u get continuity through o/h stan dosnt mean it isnt knackered!!!!

went to one last week, and the multimeter readings were ok, but still didnt work. replaced the stat and all ok

Just checked the stat and it seems ok. taken one of the wires off it to see if it still locks out but it just cuts the boiler completely so not sure what resistance to look for. It's doing my nut because since I took the front off the gas valve it only locks out when it hasn't been used for a few hours.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread!!

Even AS a registered gas engineer, I would never remove the front off a gas valve. Only occasion to do so is when I have a gas valve that is knackered and I want to see how it 'ticks'- then it is in the bin.

You keep tinkering with gas items you do not understand will put in smurf garden in the sky.

For goodness sake get someone who repairs boiler for a living.

agree with you dp, would replace that gv NOW, even if it wasnt leaking.......think admin should lock this tread before we here the....... KABOOOOOOM

had a similar prob with a baxi 80 eco. constantly resetting and no gas to burner ended up replacing circuit board and problem solved,may be worth a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back