Potterton Combi boiler not firing for DHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton gold Combi boiler is firing and heating CH but not for DHW.

The burn on light is not coming on at all for DHW leading to a lack of hot water.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Sponsored Links
Tap symbol is showing when hot water taps are turned on. Only the burn light failed to come on

I turned the boiler off including power supply for around 10min while looking over the circuit board for any signs of wear and it has now started working again. So completely unsure of what the issue was/is.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
So completely unsure of what the issue was/is.
If the tap symbol showing, then it’s seeing the demand, could be flow sensor or diverter issue.

Last edited:
Noticing today that while the symbols are all showing correctly the water is not getting up to temperature (e.g if DHW is set to 55 degrees the boiler is only showing ~45 degrees upon heating)

I had the heat exchanger replaced around a month ago as it was gunked up and it has worked fine since then.

Do you think it is stuck in the CH position? In DHW only mode I get the same lukewarm water through

Do you think it is stuck in the CH position? In DHW only mode I get the same lukewarm water through
There is two common faults with them , the plastic cartridge breaks up, or the diverter gland passes and water gets into the actuator motor and the motor fails, you do not have to be gas safe registered to remove the outer cover and have a look, the motor is simply held in with a large circlip take it out and see if you can see signs of it having water damage , usually very obvious, or post pics of it

• Thanks
There is two common faults with them , the plastic cartridge breaks up, or the diverter gland passes and water gets into the actuator motor and the motor fails, you do not have to be gas safe registered to remove the outer cover and have a look, the motor is simply held in with a large circlip take it out and see if you can see signs of it having water damage , usually very obvious, or post pics of it
Apologies for the delay in updating but the boiler is now working again!

I took your advice and had a look at the valve cartridge which was broken up and stuck inside the assembly. I had to wait over Xmas for parts to arrive but now have replaced the entire assembly/motor/cartridge (as the parts only cost about £40).

Massive thanks to yourself and CBW for your knowledge, as I would have had no idea where to start looking to be able to fix this myself!

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back