Potterton Housewarmer 55 "lockout"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited a Potterton Housewarmer 55 when i bought my house that keeps locking out. It used to do this a while ago but stopped when i had it serviced. Since then, the father-in-law came to install us a wall unit, and knocked the programmer (Lifestyle LP241) off the wall. He rewired it (thought he knew what he was doing). I have had an electrician look at the wiring and he has now corrected, but he admitted he isnt an expert on central heating. There are 2 problems, when the heating is turned on, the boiler locks out, and secondly when the programmer is not set (but boiler not locked out) it still ignites the boiler every few minutes until eventually locks out, but radiators don't get hot. I have a friend who is a corgi registered engineer, but he doesn't want to waste his time if the wiring isn't correct. If the wiring were incorrect, would that be the cause of the problems stated above?? Sorry about the essay, but i thought i had better try and explain as much as possible.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the boiler is getting permanent live and short cycling untill overheat.
Get an electrician who can do heating controls competantaly ;)

Thanks, I have emailed wiring diagrams to an electrician friend of both the backboiler and the LP241 programmer, but he wants the wiring for the programmer to the pump. I cant find that anywhere. Its a Euramo MXL 130. He want these so he knows what he's coming all this way to sort out, and he knows what he needs to buy (if anything) to bring with him.

If he's worth his salt he shouldnt need wiring diagrams :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
WIRING FROM BOILER TO PROGRAMMER
The SW live from boiler is going to terminal 3, the Live from boiler is going to L on programmer, and Neutral is going to N on programmer. There is also an earth wire - (see paragraph after MAINS)
PUMP TO PROGRAMMER
The 3 core from the pump - brown to Terminal 4 and blue to N. There is also an earth wire - (see paragraph after MAINS)
MAINS TO PROGRAMER
There is a 3 core wire going into programmer which i presume is the mains power as theres nothing else it could be.
2 of the 3 are connected (black to N & red to L) There is also an earth wire - (see next paragraph)
Now, thats the 7 wires that are connected to the programmer, there are 3 wires that arent connected they all appear to be Earth (green) which makes sense (1 from mains, 1 from boiler & 1 from pump).
Thats the state of play at the mo, (a whole can of worms, literally) Any idea what goes where? I have just emailed him the same message, but any other input will help.

If its a normal old backboiler the hw on from prog (term 3 ) will go to backboiler swl and pump live to ch on (term4) normally via room stat.
If the boiler has swl and perm live should be the same presuming the perm live is running the light effect on the fire (if it has one).
Sure you havnt got the light wired to the programmer sw circuit and the boiler wired to the perm live?

perhaps the perm live does nothing but was wired to perm live cus some backboilers have a light.
Try swapping the wires over in programmer, nothing to loose!
By the way how do you know what wire does what in the backboiler? You normally have to remove the fire to get to the terminal strip.

I have removed the front from the fire (not the fire itself as that would involve disconnecting gas etc..) I can see down the side into the terminal strip. Thats how i know which wires are connected to what on the strip. I have traced all wiring from each different source back to the programmer. Looking at the installation instructions of the boiler, all 3 wires are going into the MAINS part of the control board terminal strip.

cider";p="1134888 said:
sounds like the boiler is getting permanent live and short cycling untill overheat.

I have been told that when the "$$$$er"-in-law attempted to rewire, he put a F1.6amp fuse in to replace a T1H (anti-surge) fuse. I am now thinking this may be the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back