Potterton MSV322 / 3 way valve failing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem whereby recently, my central heating was only coming on when the hot water was also on. I read some threads on this forum and guessed that there was something wrong with the 3 way valve in my airing cupboard. Perhaps it was stuck?

Over the last couple of days though, things have changed such that the heating was no longer coming on - hot water was fine.

I had another look at the 3 way valve and noticed that there were two LED's (the hot water one being on, the heating one being off) and a slider switch with the values of "Auto" at the bottom, and "Mid" at the top. There is also a notch in the slider which appears to be a manual override. I slid the slider right the way up and past "Mid" and to manual override. The heating light came on and sure enough the radiators heated up just fine.

Today I have done the same thing, but this time I had to try 3 or 4 times before the valve would stay in place and the light come on.

So I have some questions....

Is this an indication that the actuator is knackered and needs replacing?
Should I even be messing with this slider?
Will I do any damage by doing this "manual override"?
Is the thing easy to replace?
I did a google search and only found one supplier of the MSV322 actuator and it was just shy of £50. In another thread though I saw someone bought a new motor for £15. Any tips on what I need to replace?
Should I just stop being a tight old git and pay someone to come and replace it?

Thanks for any help you can give me
Adama

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back