Potterton Profile 60e - CH comes on when I switch on HW.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've got a Potterton Profile 60e, whenever the hot water comes on the central heating kicks in too.

We recently replaced the thermostat/controller with a new one. We still have the same problem, the controller shows that the HW is on, but not the CH, despite this the radiators are definitely coming on.

Any ideas?

Please keep answers in laymens terms :)

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's been a problem before and after fitting the new thermostat/control unit - when I say thermostat I mean the unit we use to set the on and off times for the heating, not something internal to the boiler.

So it's probably an issue with the way the boiler itself is wired?

Cheers

Uncle T

what makes you think the boiler is at fault.
the boiler just receives a signal to fire up it don't know where the water is going.

i'd be checking a faulty 3 port first.

Sponsored Links
Ah OK, the boiler just heats the water, there's a 3-way valve that decides where the water goes? Makes sense. Thanks for your help...

How would I check it's working?

Like I said, I'm a layman, no plumbing or electrical experience.

The 3 port has 3 pipes to it.
1 from pump
1 to cylinder
1 to heating/rads

switch system on from cold HW only the pipe from pump will be hot then pipe to cylinder will become hot.
feel the pipe on the rad side of the 3 port does it get hot ?
feel it about 6" to 12" away from valve if it gets hot same as others then the valve is passing not shutting the heating circuit fully.
useally a faulty rubber ball or crud in the port stopping it fully closing.

what makes you think the boiler is at fault.
the boiler just receives a signal to fire up it don't know where the water is going.

i'd be checking a faulty 3 port first.
Exactly, 9 times out of 10 the valve is passing, however did have a faulty clock the other day so if there are no lights there it will be the valve passing

Thank you folks, very much appreciated :)

I've located the 3-way and I'm trying different settings to see how it responds. Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back