Potterton Profile Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me??

I have a Potterton Profile Boiler which is approx 10 years old. I have switched the boiler on and the flame comes on, but for only 20-30 secs and then goes off. It doesn't come on again unless I press the reset button.

Therefore we have no central heating! I spoke to a guy at B&Q and he said it could be the timer (Danfold 103). I changed this but the same problem still exists.

I have pulled the screw on the pump and water drips out, so I presume that is ok.

I am really stuck - any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Sponsored Links
is the pump working though jsut cos water drips out doesnt mean its ok :confused: more importantly is it going round :confused: the button you press to reset it is it the one underneath the boiler (overheat button) if so its a good chance it is your pump :cry:

god knows how the guy at B&Q thought it was the timer still i suppose thats why hes working there isnt it :LOL:

thanks for your quick response.

re the button..yes it's the black one underneath the boiler

re the pump, is it going round? that's got me - what should be going round?

Ye shaft in the middle. Undo big screw, insert big screwdriver and you should feel it. Or change pump speeds and you'll hear it. Then you can tentatively assume the ppump is pumping.

Apart from a tiny few where the impeller inside comes off and the shaft spins to no effect, and some where the impeller fills with goo and pumps nowt.

Sponsored Links
now your confusing him Chris :confused:

just put a screwdriver to it and your ear and you should be able to hear it if its working ;)

ok bear with me chris and gaz!!

i have turned on the heating and the pump has got very hot

again the boiler kicked in for approx 5 mins and then cut out and did not restart

however, the rad in the bathroom is now hot?!?!

i have opened up the rads throughout the house, but nothing else has happened.

i presume the pump is working - i can hear a slight noise coming from the pump.

there are settings 1 and 2 on the pump - currently set at 1

after i turn the screw i can pull it out only a little bit and drips of water come out. should i use quite a bit of force to turn the screw fully? bit scared!

make of pump - myson smc sd52

await your reply - many thanks to you both so far

Bripls point is right of course. Might be easier to try bleeding a high rad (with ch off) rather than venturing into the loft. If water comes out, and the pump is lower than that you should be OK.

Then Try the pump on speed 2, you should hear the noise change and you should get the heat further round the system. Oh - pumps do get very hot! If the pump has stuck you might be able to turn the motor with the screw, and free it. If they're stuck but have power applied they still make a slight noise.

The centre screw doesn't come right out on the myson pump, after a few turns it comes loose but stays attached. If you pull it towards you it will be turned by the pump. (if all myson pumps were the same!).
yes they dribble.

I don't think I've seen a Myson pump which has two speeds, only 1, 3 and 4, so that makes the set!

yes i know the one he means just had high and low setting very old pump though :confused: you would be able to hear it if it was going round very clearly :LOL:

many thanks guys

will continue tomorrow when back from work

get ready for some more feedback!!

I dont think that Chris has explained quite simply enough for you to understand what to do!

The pump has a black hex knob. Undo this anticlockwise about 3-4 turns and it will become quite loose.

Pull this knob away from the pump and it will engage with the shaft. It may be quite stiff at first but if you wiggle it in each direction a little it will probably loosen up and may work ok for a while.

If it will not free up then a new pump will be needed, cost of the pump will be about £50 but they can be quite troublesome to fit and you may need professional help.

Tony Glazier

Dear All!!

Thanks for your ongoing assistance.

We have progressed a little - when I jiggled the screw a bit, it appeared that some air came out of the pump

I then reset the boiler and we had a scorching rad in the bathroom (same level as pump), plus a warm rad in one of the bedrooms.

I checked the other rads and the two upstairs had hot pipes running into the thermostats, but the rads were cold and the return pipes were also cold.

All 4 rads downstairs were totally cold.

The boiler turned off after approx. 3 mins and did not restart on its own. Therefore the rads lost their heat.

I am confused - is this now pointing to a problem with the boiler??

I have also bled all rads and it appears that there is no air lock as water comes out as soon as I loosen the rad screws.

...it looks like another cold night...but we will succeed.

Thanks again,

Scott

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back