Potterton Promax 24HE - My poor newborn baby needs heat!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Can you please help.

I have a Potterton 24HE boiler and I have the following problem;
When the timer (thermostat) tries to turn the boiler on the boiler doesn't always start up and I have to press the reset (lockout) button to start the boiler.
When the timer turns on the boiler there is 240 voltage going to the control board, I have checked that. I asked a few electrical friends and they said it could be a fault on the relay on the control PCB, so I changed my control PCB with a neighbour (has the same boiler new build houses 3 yrs old). his boiler still works fine and mine still has the same problem. so I would say the control PCB is o.k.

Can anyone let me know what else it could be?
Thanks for any advise?
Chris

Sponsored Links
The gas valve settings may be incorrect ( CORGI job ).

Or the ignition or flame detection electrodes may be wrongly positioned or faulty.

You seem to have a very helpful neighbour! Maybe he will let you take his electrodes too !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Don't get the bus joke :D

He is a good neighbour, I do cut his front lawn for him though!!

Sounds like I better get an expert in. So you both think it is probably those two faults then?

Thanks for your help.

If you have changed the PCB without too much difficulty then you should be able to change the ignition electrodes as well.

Be aware that opening the combustion chamber shoule be done by a CORGI or a competent person in their own home only.

You must judge if you are competent.

My enquiries indicate that many engineers have not had much experience of faults on this model yet as its relatively new.

Tony

Thanks Tony might give it a go for myself, don't want to use neighbours part for this. Do you know the best place to buy them?

Thanks,
Chris

Beady, (or anyone!)

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same boiler which has had this problem (intermittantly) for nearly a year now. Sometimes the boiler acts dead unless you reset it, then it works perfectly. System pump is running, zone valves are set but no life from the boiler.

The control PCB was replaced earlier this year and it's not given any trouble, although it's only been used for HW for most of the summer. Now the cold weather is here again it's playing silly buggers once more.

Cheers. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back