POTTERTON PUMA 80PERM PILOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boilers main flame will not ignite when calling for CHW or DHW. Pilot light is on, fan and pump are all working. water pressure is 1.5 bar. Any ideas as to why please?

Sponsored Links
Could be fan (slow), aps, gas valve... maybe pcb, all corgi territory.

is the knob that u press to relight the pilot in full flame setting?

I am sure they fitted SIT valves of the puma and you have to turn the knob to the spark emblem to light the pilot then turn it to the flame emblem for it to fire up

Sponsored Links
yes. The pilot flame is ok.
On the fault finding chart I have got as far as "is the boiler overheat stat closed". By this I assume they mean the DHW & CHW temperature Sensor. How do I check this?

I wasnt asking about the pilot flame.

do you have pictures on the knob of the gas valve?

The appalling tolerances allowed during production of this junk sometimes result in the gas valve knob binding on the front panel. If the gas valve knob is not fully released it will not allow the main burner to fire. Check it is free.

Thanks for your replies.
I have removed the white front case. So there is nothing for the white knob to catch onto. Further I have removed the the white knob, which is a sleeve for the brown knob underneath. This brown knob has the same markings, spot, spark, flame, and the flame coresponds with the diamond shape at 6 O clock.
Do I have to replace the gas valve?

if you are certain that the knob is set to flame correctly and fully out, then check if you have 230V at gas valve. If you have but still no burner lighting it sounds firly safe to assume its the gas valve ;)

not yet you dont the voltage aint got that far yet

its starts getting complicated now I am betting on t he air flow switch

I would advise you get someone in

Gas valve replacement is not a diy job - it requires gas pressures to be set up, tightness testing and sniffer test.

APS operation needs to be verified first, then voltages and resistance of the gas valve operators checked.

Gasguru said:
Gas valve replacement is not a diy job - it requires gas pressures to be set up, tightness testing and sniffer test.

APS operation needs to be verified first, then voltages and resistance of the gas valve operators checked.

snap

:)

great minds eh guru ;)

The AAV is directly above the gas valve, has yours got any sign of leakage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back