Potterton Statesman 50/65

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer any help or advice. Whilst away for a few days the boiler, having been running fine, suddenly cut out last week and the green power light (Mains) is no longer lit. Tried to turn on and off power supply and set control Timer to Constant and indoor house thermostat to max and it tries to fire up, light goes green on front panel for an instant, then boiler shuts off no lights showing or lock out light. I should point out that we were very low on oil but in the past when we have run out of oil the green mains light was always on as was the lock out orange light and I simply bled the air out and it fired back up. This time having refilled the tank the lockout light is still off and so is the green light. Definitely power getting to the boiler and pressing the reset button on the boiler does nothing. If you turn the power supply off then on again and reset the timer to constant it goes through the same faltering attempt to start and dies with no light on the control panel. After we refilled the tank it ran and fired up for about a minute then died and so I assumed there was no air lock. Have not tried bleeding it since and the fact there is no lock out light has me confused somewhat and the fact there is no green power light on the panel. Any ideas anyone? We have been without heating now for 7 days and local engineer/s cannot come until the weekend to look at it.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a programmer/ controls problem.
Can you expand on this Terry? The green light comes on when you reset the power supply and set the timer to constant and then the motor runs but does not then fire up the boiler and then the whole thing shuts off (no green light). It is odd that it ran for a mniute after we refilled the oil tank so I am not convinced it is an air lock. Is there anything I can check/connections etc?

Sponsored Links
What controls do you have.
Is the water pump running.
The timer has separate controls for the water and central heating. We have hot water heated by immersion tank and boiler only heats central heating system. We dont use the boiler to heat the water in the house generally. The boiler doesnt seem to be getting a proper call from the timer to start, the green "Mains" light comes on on the boiler front panel and the boiler pump (purge cycle starts) runs before it would ordinarily fire up, but then only runs for maybe two seconds then cuts out. In the past if we had run out of oil the orange lock out light would be on but nothing at all on front panel this time. We have the indoor thermosat set to max and timer set to constant for central heating but for whatever reason it is not calling the boiler to start. Then even to get it to try to fire up, you have to switch off power to the boiler and timer, turn it back on then select Constant and you get the above described symptoms, Green light very briefly on, pump runs in boiler for about two seconds then cuts out and green light goes out.

I recently attended one of these with a very similar fault. This was controlled by a Boilermate, and a few checks revealed that the voltage coming to the boiler was way below 230v. Start by measuring and monitoring the current into the boiler. The neons will light with a very low voltage, but this will not power the boiler. Check everything from the mains spur, through the junction box and any thermostats. There is no sophisticated electronics on the boiler.

Do you have any motorised valves 2....3...port ??

Hi Terry. Turned out to be both the hot water motorised valve downstream of the water pump and another leading in/out from/to the immersion tank that was not opening/jammed. Both replaced. Problem solved. Boiler itself fired right up and was fine. Basking in heat after seven days with no heating and huddled around an open fire. Thanks Terry and everyone else for all your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back