Potterton Suprima 50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having problems with my Potterton Suprima 50 for ages,thought i'd better get it fixed before the winter so i rang a plumber who quoted me £240 to fit a PCB which he said would fix it. He new the fault almost as soon as he had my address and said he is on our estate 2 or 3 times a week (the estate is 4 years old so everyone's boilers seem to be packing in at the same time with this annoying fault that Potterton seem to refuse exists). As i'm on the bones of my ass at the moment i did a little web trawling and between this and some other sites decided that i'd try having a look at the pcb myself and resoldering anything dodgy (I am electrically based by trade and felt comfortable doing this once i new that there was no need to interfere with any gas systems, i'd get a Corgi man for that). I isolated the boiler, removed the one screw above the LED's that lets you remove the front cover, removed another screw and dropped down the PCB panel, removed the plugs (after noting the positions) and then removed the PCB. Around one of the components the board seemed scorched, on the reverse of the board around this area some of the joints looked a little suspect so i carefully re-soldered the ones in the area (around a dozen). Put it all back together and hey presto, the boiler flares up when a demand requires and goes off when not.......all without havin to press the bloody red button everytime (anyone whose got the problem will understand my relief)
So all looks good and my £240 is still in my pocket.......happy days :D

Thanks to the internet dudes i picked up the info from, hope this little report helps somebody out in a similar situation, make sure your electrically isolated, remember where the plugs go and you really got very little to lose in trying this if your boiler is already playin up.

split from hi jacked post

Sponsored Links
Of course it will cost a lot more if the boiler doesn't shut off or close the gas valve properly and takes the side of the house out, your insurance will probably be void, but other than that jolly well done.

You can get new suprima boards for about £60, though not the newest design (unproven!!) which has only been around a few weeks. I think there are a lot of surplus ones about because of the new design. I can sell you one if you want one.

the new boards have been tested in the new d&d lab in preston, and (dont quote me) have a 2 year guarantee. if you phone potterton they will fit one for about 180 quid which is much cheaper than your installer quoted.

you might find that when those resistors get hot again, you have the same problem............

you may have also cased faults you dont know about yet, which could be EXTREEMLY dodgy, ie. see pedantic's

well done for trying, and i hope your house is still standing.............. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
OOH YOU NEVER.......
My uncle resoldered his 7 months ago,
he's been living with me for 6 months now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back