Potterton Suprima 80E main electrics dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a Potterton Suprima 80E and it was functioning well today.
We had a power cut to the house and a few minutes later the power was restored. Now the boiler does not power up at all. No red led or programmer activity. Just completely dead. I have checked the fuse socket leading up to the boiler and the fuse is ok. I have checked with a mains tester that power is indeed going into the boiler electric main. Could it be the fuse inside the boiler that has blown?
I really don't know what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
matt

Sponsored Links
Could be the internal fuse, or pcb fried; pottertons are notorious for wonky electronics.

Hello,

Thanks for the quick responses and help. Much appreciated.

I managed to open up the boiler and get access to the PCB. Instructions from http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/. The boiler was manufactured in 1999.

I could see that power was getting into the PCB from my mains tester so I checked the onboard fuse 3.15A which had turned black. I replaced this fuse with another 3.15A one, and hey presto, it sprung into life again! Not sure what caused the fuse to blow, as the main spur fuse socket was fine and I checked it had a working 3A fuse in it.

I also read up about potterton electronics and how many people have had problems with the boiler 'lockouts'. There has even been a BBC watchdog programme about it from what I read! I was thinking I might need to buy a refurbished old 5102160 pcb for £50 (which I think is what is installed in my boiler), but then found out they are very troublesome after a few years (lockouts). So I saw potterton released the new 5111603 pcb for these models to solve the lockout problems for about £140.

There is a good site called Suprima-fix at http://suprimafix.cozweb.co.uk for good information and fixes for Suprima boilers.

Anyway for now, I'm up and running! Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back