Potterton Suprima 80L Buzzing Noise when Timer is On or Off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I recently posted a message as my Potterton Suprima 80L was turning on and off day and night intermittently whether or not the timer was on or off. Was keeping us awake with fan being activated and turned off and other odd random noises. Had new PCB changed as have call-out cover with Potterton which includes all parts and there was a little scorching on it. The main problem appeared to be a dodgy valve (have a 3 way valve set-up) and when engineer replaced all 3 and did final checks, all appeared to be okay.

What it is doing now is intermittently or solidly buzzing - often when HW and CH is on and even though the timer went off an hour ago, the blasted thing is still buzzing (one floor above) and I can still hear it. It's definitely coming from the boiler.

I can keep making call-outs but feel as though I am going mad as it doesn't buzz when the engineers are here! It's a low level buzz, not a rattle or banging noise. When the timer is off I don't understand what is activating something in the boiler to make such noise.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what the heck might be causing this, I would be so grateful. Apologies if anyone has listed a similar query - I did a search but nothing matched this.

Thanks,
Hazel

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that the Potterton engineer replaced the complete 3 way valve?

I would suspect and want to check the gas valve, as the solenoids can sometimes buzz.

The thing that throws me off the scent is that the valve has been changed. It is this valve that will tell the boiler to come on, even if the timer is set to off.

I would suspect the 3 way valve head personally, or how it has been wired up. Next the pump over run which is controlled by the pcb, which is also new :confused:

Where is the boiler located?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to sound like a complete incompetnt but I'm not technical - it was the 3 small box type structures that sit below the Honeywell Timer that he replaced - and I'm now unsure if they are just called motor switches - or are they known as the 3-way valve? Apologies for being confusing.

Have underfloor heating downstairs and rad heating and hot water...

Forgot to add that the boiler is in a first floor bathroom against next door's party wall and is in it's own purpose built cabinet.

It almost sounds like a fan/buzzing noise and after 2 hours has just gone off but no doubt it will start up during the night.

Thanks very much for your earlier comments - they make sense and I would like to think the next engineer would check the things you've said automatically, but if not, I will certainly ask him to.

Best,
Hazel

I am extremely surprised he replaced all 3 heads :eek:

The sign of desperation, or of one who hasn't a clue what is wrong.

Was it an actual Heat Team Potterton engineer or an engineer from a company like Homeserve etc?

He was from Heat Team and the problem appears to have flummoxed all who have looked at it which is a bit of a worry.

The noise literally just came back on for 3 secs and went off. I'm wondering if I need to call them and insist on most experienced engineer as it's not cost effective for them for these repeat visits never mind what a pain it is for us.

Am so fed up with it and doubtless await another interrupted night's sleep. :(

The Heat Team chaps are usually pretty good. The problem here being that it will need to fault when they are actually there to be able to diagnose and fix properly :cry:

You could have the top engineer in the country visit, but he would be just as frustrated if he couldn't see/hear the fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back