Potterton Suprima trips mains when pump switches on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Potterton Suprima 60 which about three years ago started doing the lockout problem. Thanks to some good advice from one of the many posts here on this subject, I replaced the PCB and it worked fine. Two weeks ago it started showing the same problem. I ordered the most recent PCB and then fitted that.

The instructions told me to remove the fan, which I did, not realising that this was 1) completely unnecessary for the PCB replacement 2) means I've broken the seals and potentially got a CO leak 3) I've ventured well beyond what is allowed when I'm not CORGI registered.

Is there a reason Potterton will have told me to do this in the instructions? Any clues as to where I can get the replacement seals?

I reconnected the boiler, and whenever the pump started it blew the fuse/tripped the RCD. The previous installer had connected only the pump live and earth, not the neutral.

I'm resigned to getting a professional in to replace the whole dodgy thing, but given the shortage of plumbers and lead times I would appreciate any tips that could let me get it running to keep the kids warm for the next week or two.

Sponsored Links
...previously - live on live, and earth on earth, and no neutral??? The pump surely wouldn't have run.

Presumably you got your pcb off the back of a lorry or you'd be getting seals from the same place. You might find that it's just a faulty board, sold as new. Happens all the time. :cry:

Several of us work in London - what's your postcode?

Pump is wired in to the timer and running - the pump input lines on the boiler are only connected to the Live and Earth. Going to buzz the pump cable through later in case I damaged the insulation pulling the cables through.

Am I correct in assuming that the pump input to the boiler should be connected in parrallel with the pump itself?

Have located seals - used mjtcontrols (where I got the legit pcb from).

Postcode is W6 (Hammersmith). Where do you cover?

the pump has a ,the name of the part has gone out my head,were the wiring goes ,is the small round part with 2 rted wires from it ,i find when the pump is blowing the fuses or tripping its that

Sponsored Links
Found some honeywell wiring diagrams and did some more investigation.

Have I understood the control process correctly?

Timer switches on the motorised valves. When the either valve opens it closes a switch which provides a live 'call for heat' input into the switched live input on the boiler. The boiler then drives the pump directly (providing the overrun).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back