Powdery walls!

OJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has a flat, only 2 years old - all the walls are painted Magnolia Matt throughout - in one room, the walls are powdery/dusty - i.e. when you rub your hand across the wall, you end up with a hand covered in powder/dust....!

Any ideas of a possible cause, and remedy, please?

Sponsored Links
Have come across this several times on new work. I suspect (but dont know ) the paint contractor thinned tooo much on the emulsion (ontop of pva :rolleyes: ). This dusty effect on new emulsion with contractors matt is one of the effects of thinning too much or the job was done when athmosphere was cold and dank. Or> Paint was stored in frosty conditions before use. I usually get over it by just applying a thinned coat or 2 of dulux trade vinyl matt. Last job I did like this was only 18 mths old and every wall you could dust off.. I told people to complain etc.. They had many times etc etc etc....
John

Have come across this several times on new work. I suspect (but dont know ) the paint contractor thinned tooo much on the emulsion (ontop of pva :rolleyes: ). This dusty effect on new emulsion with contractors matt is one of the effects of thinning too much or the job was done when athmosphere was cold and dank. Or> Paint was stored in frosty conditions before use. I usually get over it by just applying a thinned coat or 2 of dulux trade vinyl matt. Last job I did like this was only 18 mths old and every wall you could dust off.. I told people to complain etc.. They had many times etc etc etc....
John

Manyt thanks for that, John.

OJ.

Sponsored Links
This does happen with the Contract stuff, but, like CC says, if you painted over it with a vinyl paint, you dont get that trouble.

I have not long finished a new plastered ceiling and walls, I did two miscoats with the contract, and the rest of the coats with the vinyl, and I think doing it like that could be your best bet. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back