Power Factor when Designing Circuits

Sponsored Links
Question. Not really sure if it is connected to original question. I can understand the power factor related to electric motors, and CFLs have been mentioned - which is not as clear to me-, but what other equipment? Induction cookers can be quite large machines - is it relevant here? Mostly I use this site as a learning resource (as if you hadn't guessed).
Any load other than a simple passive resistive one (like a heating element) is likely to have a PF less than 1.0. As well as obvious inductive loads such as motors and things with inductive ballasts (like traditional fluorescent lights), I think one of the greatest type of culprits are switched-mode power supplies (SMPSUs), which are becoming increasingly prevalent in this world. 'PF-corrected' SWPSUs exist, but I don't know how common they are, and I have a feeling that there are some problems associated with them. I would suspect that, as you say, an induction hob would probably have a low PF.
Actually, SMPSs were a serious problem a decade or two ago - leading (I believe) to burned out neutrals in some commercial buildings when lots of computers got installed on what were by that time "undersized"* electrical installations.
* Ie, when the building was built, the assumptions on load were effectively "lights plus the cleaner's vacuum" - but then the place has been filled with power hungry computers.

But for (IIRC) a decade or two, there have been quite strict limits on harmonics, so pretty well any SMPS that complies with standards will have a reasonably decent PF and crest factor. Of course, I suspect we all possess some cheap PSU where the board has vacant holes that only had components fitted in the samples sent for testing :rolleyes:

For an induction cooker, I actually wonder if they don't have an inverter drive for the induction coils these days. Given the way power electronics has progressed, I suspect it wouldn't add much cost/complexity and allow for the fine grained control I assume is "standard" - at least the one my mate's just had installed seems to be "all bells and whistles" including a function to limit maximum power drawn from the supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back