Power for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am installing a power shower for a friend, and am clear about needing RCBO of correctr ating in Consumer unit and approriate size wire for power of shower, but have following question:
Can a house have two power showers installed or will the possible useage of power if both on at same time be an overload? Whilst friend does not have another one installed, they do have an electric shower (which I believe is less poer hungry than a power shower). Be grateful foir advice!
Cheers, Russ :)

Sponsored Links
Rusty2 said:
... they do have an electric shower (which I believe is less poer hungry than a power shower).

Other way round. A Power Showe is just a pump, which increases the presure of stored water from a Hot Water Cylinder, and will probably be less than 5Amps, so no significant load.

An Electric Shower (i.e. Electric Element inside that heats up cold water from the main supply) may take 40Amps or so. To have two of then in a house running at the same time would use most (or all) the capacity. If you were using an electric cooker or heaters at the same time that might blow the main fuse.

Have a look at:
The power rating of the showers
The power rating of the cooker
Do they use an immersion heater or gas
The power rating of any electric fires they use
Any other significant electric loads (spa bath; sauna, welding gear, etc)

Let us know what all these ratings are if you do not understand what I mean and we can advise further.

clearly you dont know what you are doing so leave it alone

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for a prompt reply !

Sorry for confusion - They described the existing shower as electric 9ie only cold feed and heats water) but with no kick to it and no sound of a pump, so I was imagining it to be an older style - it isn't in a box like most exlectric showers, it is fitted into ther wall.
Will check all other ratings out with them and get back to you.
Much obliged for the help!
Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back