Power inverter for my van

The stand-by current does not alter that much between inverter sizes and likely it will not be worth using a smaller inverter as normally what is used determines the current draw by inverter.

So 500W out will likely with losses mean 650W in which will be around the 60A mark.

Likely 16mm sq cable will be ample for that load but you would need to fuse so if some one plugged in anything bigger the fuse will blow rather than cable melt. The fuse could be a small bit of 6mm cable using a porcelain motor connection block or other item which will not melt but you can't rely on the fuses in the inverter as they will be too big for the cable.

Many inverters warn about using motors on them and likely it will need to be oversized because of the type of load. I would play safe and ask if the inverter is suitable before buying.

We did fit two semi-conductor fuses on ours to protect the inverter. Do remember MCB's are too slow to protect semi-conductor devices.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered buying a 12 / 24 volt compressor rather than an invertor to power the 230 volt compressor.

http://www.diy-compressors.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_23_52&products_id=75 ( there are other supplies )

It might work out more expensive but could be less trouble some.

I would have two 12 volt batteries being charged in protected parallel as mentioned above while the engine is running. Then to run the compressor they would be connected in series to give a 24 volt supply to the compressor wich with lower current would be more efficient than at 12 volt.

Then have a small 12 volt to 230 volt invertor for recharging your tool batteries. Or search for chargers that operate on 12 volts.

Buy a generator?

Change to a vehicle with a PTO?

Invest in £10-15K worth of 4-5000Ah deep cycle batteries? (They'd weigh over a ton, so the van might not move too well with them on board).

Sponsored Links
i have a small 300 watt invertor that plugs in the lighter socket, i use it to run a 28watt 2d fitting when need be, within an hour battery is flat and unable to start van, so now i have to leave engine running to use it
Hmm - not sure that 3-4A for an hour should do that to a battery.

good point, maybe it was a bit longer then, but after that one time in a dodgy car park alone at midnight im not risking it again, i had to bump start it down the ramp, it was a two year old leased van so regularly serviced :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back