power showers from a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to relocate my boiler and hot water cylinder which are currently located in a utility room adjacent to the kitchen. We intend to knock through to create a larger kitchen. The options we are considering are as follows -

1. keep the current potterton kingfisher boiler in its current location and relocate the water cylinder to an upstairs bedroom (disadvantage is that we don't really want to lose the space).

2. change the boiler to a combi, leaving it in the same location and get rid of the hot water cylinder.

I realise option 2 will involve buying a new boiler but could somebody please advise on whether option 1 or 2 involves more pipework. I don't know what's involved in converting from one boiler system to another.

I also have a question about how effective a combi boiler is if you want a power shower. Can you use a pump with a combi boiler?

thanks

Sponsored Links
WOUldn't worry about the cost of the pipework, the other issues are bigger. It would be cheaper to move (get new) HW cylinder but your Kingfisher won't last forever. Read up on combis - think in terms of only one output being used at a time or you can run into problems with the person in the shower, depending onthe mains and other things.
You'll need to check your mains pressure and flow - again, lots here.

If you have good mains and a high flowrate combi you can get an excellent shower. Can't use and don't need a pump then.
Simple boiler + cylinder = more reliability and backup (immersion heater).

You could use an unvented cylinder in the loft, but expensive. You could put a combi in the loft.

Do you have more than one shower?
How valuable is that space?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back