Power to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I moved into my house which had a shed fed with a SWA cable as shown in the photo.
I believe this is not a dedicated feed from my main consumer unit - instead a spur from the utility room ring circuit.
I knocked the shed down many years ago but remember the SWA just fed a dual socket from where the lighting was powered.

I have now built a new shed and want to have two dual sockets and lighting (lighting will be 2 switches : 1 for internal LED and 1 external).
I don't expect to be running anything heavy from the sockets.

The questions I have are:
1) Will this cable be able to provide suitable power to the shed for my needs?
2) Do I need to install a consumer unit for this?

btw - I do not intend to fully wire up myself, just want to buy the necessary items and install ahead of electrician finishing.

Thanks for any guidance.

EDIT : Value the feedback and understand & appreciate the comments re: what I do vs leave for sparky to do.
I only intend to dig trench, run cable into shed, and screw-in light switch & sockets.

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
btw - I do not intend to fully wire up myself, just want to buy the necessary items and install ahead of electrician finishing.

Good luck with that. I never do the "connections" for DIYers .................. and neither do any of my sparky mates.

All or nothing

1. Can't see why not, if it did before no reason why it shouldn't now, but your spark will check out rcd protection etc.

2.No

Sponsored Links
Simple advice is to ask your electrician what he is happy for you to do, before you start.

Many will not finish off a job some will be happy for donkey work to be done, especially things like digging trenches. Some will refuse to use some makers parts

Did a similar project myself last year. Started off as a few sockets to a shed and ended up being a fully insulated, new roof, fully sheathed and externally clad utility room with WM, TD, chest freezer and 2 further wall socket (and a kitchen sink!)

Also looking to feed low voltage garden lights, and next year, a garden room from this small consumer unit within the utility room.

Had a few different ways of doing it depending which sparky quoted for me. In the end I decided to install a completely separate CU parallel to the house one (which was full up anyway) rather than come off the existing CU - the chance of the utility room tripping the main house would be too annoying.

Whether your cable will supply what you need would depend on the size of SWA and the rated current of the RCD it comes off. Personally I was nearly burnt by a so-called electrician (dad of the landscaper doing my garden) who suggested I source the materials myself from TLC. He came clean in the end when he realised my requirements were more than just a few garden lights. Having said that, there’s a lot you could do yourself to save money as long as you liase with your electrician - digging, running cables, installing back boxes etc.

If it’s just run off a spur, how would you isolate the shed if needed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back