power to spur socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wired in a spur for the dishwasher but it is not working! when I plug a lead in with a neon it lights up but not as bright as in a normal socket any ideas of the cause? I have checked the dishwasher from a lead and that works, I am at a loss.

Sponsored Links
First thought is to check for a loose connection in the spur socket and that it is correctly wired.
(May sound a tad obvious but people do make mistakes.)

First thought is to check for a loose connection in the spur socket and that it is correctly wired.
Yes thanks I have done that but all ok.

Faulty socket or possibly insulation trapped under the securing screw, so although the connection is tight it is not cleanly on the conductors.

Sponsored Links
Just wired in a spur for the dishwasher but it is not working! when I plug a lead in with a neon it lights up but not as bright as in a normal socket any ideas of the cause? I have checked the dishwasher from a lead and that works, I am at a loss.
Have you tried the lead in another socket outlet?
One question maybe two more, if you have purposely spurred a socket for dishwasher, why are you using an extension lead and the other question, is this new socket RCD protected?

Have you tried the lead in another socket outlet?
One question maybe two more, if you have purposely spurred a socket for dishwasher, why are you using an extension lead and the other question, is this new socket RCD protected?
new socket is RCD protected, the lead is purley for seeing what is working, maybe I should just replace the cable feeding the spur socket.

new socket is RCD protected
And this has been confirmed as working via the correct test procedures?
the lead is purley for seeing what is working
Really require to be doing continuity, dead polarity, insulation resitance, live polarity, Ze, Zs and RCD trip times before we get to the plug in and play method!
maybe I should just replace the cable feeding the spur socket.
Or follow the correct inspection and testing to confirm or diagnose the fault.
You should not be going live on any electrical work until you have proved it is safe to do so, this a requirement of part p which is a legal requirement!

I doubt that an extension lead with a neon indicator, would satisfy the requirements for testing and proving safe, laid down by BS7671 and Part P!

A question worth asking would be, was the circuit or socket you took the feed from, suitable, safe and fault free prior to your connection or have you introduced a fault by performing this work?

Yes thanks I have done that but all ok.
Thanks again conny it was a loose neutral in the socket on the ring main from where the spur was wired from, wired by a sparky!!

Can't blame the sparky for loose connection that you must have connected the spur to! Thus making yourself responsible for!

Can't blame the sparky for loose connection that you must have connected the spur to! Thus making yourself responsible for!
Just to clarify the sparky wired the spur but left the cable taped up until ready for the socket to be fitted which is the bit I did thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back