Premature 12v halogen bulb failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New house, 12v lighting system wired by qualified electrician .
Lighting units are a mixture of individually transformed ceiling fittings, proprietary under cabinet multi fittings in kitchen and single wall mounted spotlight with own transformer.
Bulbs in all units are continuously being replaced some after just a few hours.
We've changed bulb supplier, we've replaced transformers all to no avail.
Any constructive ideas
I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with the quality of our mains supply?

Sponsored Links
When you change your bulbs your are handling them with tissue!!!

The grease on the surface of your fingers can/will make halogens fail prematurely.

When you change your bulbs your are handling them with tissue!!!

The grease on the surface of your fingers can/will make halogens fail prematurely.

Thanks for that but we've tried that precaution all to no avail

Sponsored Links
If you have for example 8 downlighters in one room, then lamps will fail 8 times more often than a single pendant would.

I have some (12no.) ELV downlighters at home, which have good quality lamps and transformers, (and soft start dimmers)

I installed these when I was an apprentice (about 7 years ago, when they were still in fashion) :LOL: . I have not had a lamp fail yet.

[dons Osram hat]

Try Osram!

Originally the electricians had installed some bulbs available in the trade but not of a well known brand. I suspected this was the problem so they offered to replace the entire house with new bulbs from Osram.

The problem continued!!!!

If you have for example 8 downlighters in one room, then lamps will fail 8 times more often than a single pendant would.

I have some (12no.) ELV downlighters at home, which have good quality lamps and transformers, (and soft start dimmers)

I installed these when I was an apprentice (about 7 years ago, when they were still in fashion) :LOL: . I have not had a lamp fail yet.

All the fittings and transformers are from top drawer manufacturers installed with recommended areas of space to allow for adequate ventilation to avoid overheating

In our last house building project we used the same installation procedure and fittings. 138No units (we went mad) fitted and in 5 years we lost ONE bulb so our experience matches your own.

When you change your bulbs your are handling them with tissue!
WTF?

These are GU5.3s, not (for example) linear t/h lamps, so the crystal part is inaccessible. :rolleyes:

Dunno, my crystal ball is at the menders :LOL:

I took it from the OP that they have halogen UCLs fitted in the kitchen, as the whole post only refers to premature failure of ELV halogens.

There is no mention of T4s (or any other fluorescents)

Maybe the OP could settle this for us?

Hm. You could be right. But I've just noticed that he used the words "multi fittings"; I don't know what that means. :(

All the fittings and transformers are from top drawer manufacturers installed with recommended areas of space to allow for adequate ventilation to avoid overheating

In our last house building project we used the same installation procedure and fittings. 138No units (we went mad) fitted and in 5 years we lost ONE bulb so our experience matches your own.

I can beat the both of you. I installed some downlighters in my Ma's gaff in 1990 & 1992. We still have all the transformers in place & most of the original Thorn lamps. We're changing them now, though, because the mirrored coating is burning off, making the loft spaces more light than the rooms... :rolleyes:

Touch wood, the dimmers are all going strong, too.

Dimmers are Hamilton, Trannys are ILP electronic & Lamps, as I say were Thorn, but being replaced with Osram.

Good going, huh?

Dunno, my crystal ball is at the menders :LOL:

I took it from the OP that they have halogen UCLs fitted in the kitchen, as the whole post only refers to premature failure of ELV halogens.

There is no mention of T4s (or any other fluorescents)

Maybe the OP could settle this for us?

Point of clarification

Every room is lit by 12v lighting. Only table lamps use normal 240v energy saving bulbs. There are no fluorescents.

All ceiling units are Die cast Aluminium units with 12v up to 50w dichronic reflector lamps. Those used in bathrooms are sealed. All are attached to individual electronic transformers with a load up to 50w

The under kitchen cabinet lighting are 12v 20w lamps mounted in an aluminium unit which incorporates an electronic transformer.

Thanks for all the constructive comment folks but what I'm really seeking is some views as to whether my layman theory about fluctuations in the power supply could be damaging the life span of the bulbs.

My knowledge of things electrical is about as good as Ghenghis Khans knowledge of childcare. So having taken all the obvious steps with no result I am hoping that someone out in the big wide world will provide that Eureka moment and say the cause is probably ...............

I'm wondering whether to ask the electricity supply company to come and put some gizmo on my line to see whether my theory might have some merit

Your thoughts are appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back