Prepping wall prior to wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm prepping my hall / stairs / landing walls ready for wallpapering.

The walls are old plaster that have been painted in a yellow coat of some type and some of this has come away in little flakes when taking the old paper off.
Ive tried filling then sanding but that just makes loads of dust and nearly all the filler sands away (using fine 200 grit) also when I 've washed down the walls, whats left of the filler washes away - ahhh what am I doing wrong

Help :cry:

ps I'm putting up quite a heavy weight paper - so do I need to go to this much trouble

Sponsored Links
how old is the house?

does this yellow stuff have an unpleasant smell when wet?

D**T**P*R

did it have anaglypta on the walls before?

I think you will find it easier to fill the walls using thinnish Finish Plaster. Apply it with a broad filling knife. press it hard on the flat plaster around your patch

If you need to flat it off, use a broad metal scraper while it is still cheesy

The house was built around 60's, all solid walls with plaster, no board anywhere except ceilings.

What type of smell do you mean? only a wet plaster smell, its quite tough to sand and matt looking - I see it all the time on those house auction shows - its mainly yellow or a duck egg colour paint in the kitchens but this is on every wall in the house, is it just a coloured size

No anaglypta previously just ordinary flat wallpaper I'll get a photo of it tonight

Sponsored Links
OK then, it won't be distemper or the thick glue stuff I was thinking of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back