Pressurising a cistern, gravity fed water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a private, rural water supply which consists of a well pump feeding into a 50 gallon tank in the (not very high) loft. This tank then gravity feeds the cold water taps and hot water cylinder. The pressure is terrible.

I'm doing a bit of renovating and want to pressurise the system. My plan is to relocate the storage tank (as the loft is being converted) and have it directly feed a pressure booster pump which will then supply the house including the hot water tank. Questions.

1. Does the general idea/approach sound reasonable?

2. I've had a look at available pressure sets and thought the combined stainless steel pump and pressure exp vessel from Draper/Clarke looked good value. About £160 for a 55 ltr/min, 24ltr expansion tank. 800 watt motor. Does this sound sufficient for domestic usage? Any other pumps better?

3. Our hot water is a dual cylinder indirect type (2 years old) and there is an air-trap vent on the incomming pipe (perhaps outgoing?). Is there any issue with pressurising this type of cylinder?

4. Any other hints or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Sparky Joe.

Sponsored Links
SparkyJoe said:
Hi,

1. Does the general idea/approach sound reasonable?

3. Our hot water is a dual cylinder indirect type (2 years old) and there is an air-trap vent on the incomming pipe (perhaps outgoing?). Is there any issue with pressurising this type of cylinder?

4. Any other hints or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Sparky Joe.

1. yes, quite common to use a cold water booster set to pressurise your hot & cold systems.

2. cant comment. well maybe I can, I dont know their quality but 55l/min is pretty good flow for your avarage domestic use - a shower from an unvented system will use APPROX 15l/min mixed (mira excell or similar).

3. Illegal and dangerous are the only words you need to know. You cannot just pressurise an existing Hot water Cylinder. You need to source a new fully approved Unvented Cylinder.

4. I note you are 'rural' do you intend connecting any solid fuel or 'always on' cooker/range to the system? if so, stop right there, again it is illegal.

You want to get a registered unvented installer to do a site survey to ensure that what you propose is feasable.

CCM

Cheers for the advice CCM,

I did a bit more research and realised the problems with the vented cylinder and pressurisation.

I'm now going to look at using a Heat Bank system to provide heating and mains pressure hot water and to combine oil fired central heating, solid fuel and solar water heating in one system. I'm aware now of the vented vs unvented issues particularly with solid fuel sources and will get a suitably qualified plumber to guide and commission any system.

For now I'm keen to think through the options and design a system before I try to pin down one of our local, overworked plumbers for 10 mins.

Cheers again.
Joe

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if you will still be able to get this, but how did you get on with this?
I'm not far from Aberdeen and on a Private Water supply, and want to increase the pressure + flow rate.

Please let me know!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back