Preventing flooding..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is at the bottom of a slope,yesterdays heavy rain flooded the garden and nearly came into the house.The road drains couldn't take it (So it will happen again) and the water came over the kerbstone across the pavement and down my drive to the house.
There is a two foot wall either side of the gates...If I can raise the drive level across the drive into a hump under the gates it would prevent most of the water entering my property.

My question is how do I build that hump so that it will bond with the drive...a mish mash of tarmac and crappy concrete.To create a leak proof barrier? Even two or three inches would keep a hell of a lot of water out.
Thanks.

005-4.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

Sponsored Links
might be worth a drain across the entrance right under the gate, between the wall pillars....

pipe it under the drive into your downpipe drain..

more drains round the house perimiter and under the side gate too..

won't stop it all but will get some of it..

maybe dig a couple of soak away pits in the front garden and pipe to those too..?

best bet would be to re-grade your front drive so there is a fall to the road.. but that looks to be several inches at the house end..

The drains in the immediate location are blocked or cannot cope Col so draining into them with even more storm water doesn't sound viable not to mention its illegal. Soakaways are unlikely to work especially if the rain is sustained either unless they have an infinite capacity. A raised concrete hump (like a speed bump) may work although will need to be fairly steep. You'd just have to dig a small trench as wide as the hump so that you could sit the base of your hump beneath the top of the drive. This will only work if the property's either side of you have a similar defence though. as Col mentioned, having a slope down towards the pavement may be the way to go although again technically you'd then be directing your own stormwater on to the pavement which is not really allowed either. Flood water can be a surprisingly difficult thing to predict.

A fall to the road is out of the question...it's over a foot drop from the road to the house.
If I can build a hump across the gates it will encourage the water to go left where the main road slopes away to further road drains...(picture) Heavy rain gathers where I have arrowed and if I can stop it going under my gates it will drain mostly to the left down the slope of the main road.

2011-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
are you the lowest point !!
if you block the path off the water would it enter next door and find its way to your property anyway!!

No...it would drain left further down the main road.My property is like a plateau in the general slope where the water gathers half way down the main road.

When the suggestion to change the fall was suggested you would raise the fall up away from the driveway and then back down towards the house as existing so you would have a gradual hump about a metre or so back from your gate not raise the whole driveway. Alternatively what about putting a higher kerb between the road and the pavement? It looks like there is nothing there at the moment? Obviously you would need Permission to do this and the pavement would need raising slightly to accommodate it. Or does the water level breach the pavement either side of the driveway anyway? Have you raised your concerns with highways?

I'm with you with the hump...The road has a dropped kerb there for my access.I've been on to 'Highways' and am waiting for a call and report...God knows when that will be...The drain is directly in front of the road sign.

Report the blocked drains, they will remain blocked if not reported. ;)

Don't think that would work mate...it wouldn't be sealed enough.

Looks like the Council are on the ball...hope it cures my problem...

003-2.jpg

004-4.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back