Primary Heat Exchanger Leaking!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

just what you need on New year eve! Oil fired Camray 5 Boiler is leaking from the Primary Heat Exchanger - the steel casing it self! About 3" down the seam / joint Can this be welded or is it a write off?

Any help advicewould be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Could probably be welded but might cost you as much to get it welded as it would to get a new one

would i be correct in assuming the Primary Heat Exchanger is the steel black box measuring aprox 2ft x 2ft

It is the bit that is leaking, you've already told us. The burner fires into it.

Failure of these is not uncommon (I've replaced a couple in the last 12 months) and you already know the solution, get a new boiler.

It's not an E type Jag, its a cruddy old life expired boiler. There isn't a magazine dedicated to rebuilding old boilers, but I can think of three Practical Classics type car magazines. Restoring old boilers gives no pleasure just grief.

It's time to let it go. Your local pikies will thank you for it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Simon.
Recent quote for new boiler £2500 + Vat Quote for welding is £50. Just wanted to know from you guys wether it was possible. Not prepared to give up the ghost yet. Apart from that if i had to part with £3k right now i probably would end up a *****! Just need a bit of a breathing space for the next few months.

Thanks all and a happy new year to all on the forum who give your time to help us out :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back