Problem with damp proof course?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what is causing (and stop) a patch of damp bricks on the outside of my house.

I have a single horizontal row of about ten bricks that appear wet when all the bricks about them don't.

It is at the centre of a bay window. There is a vertical crack in the mortar running from the bottom of the window down to ground level. This passes through the DPC. The brick by the crack below DPC is also damp and the crack is in the middle of the line of damp looking bricks.

I'm guessing the water is coming up and spreading across but I've no experience.

Also when I say DPC all I know is I have a line of bricks with filled drill holes which I'm guessing is a DPC!

Any info on what's wrong and how to fix (assuming I need to) much appreciated. No signs of damp inside at the moment.

Thanks

Pat.

Sponsored Links
is is cavity?
if so im wondering if your cavities are blocked?.

But what is the problem?

Bricks below DPC can be damp for several reasons, but non of which are a problem

Sponsored Links
Gregers - It isn't a cavity wall, it is single skin. It is a typical turn of the century Coronation Street terrace.
Woody - You might be right, it might be nothing to worry about but I'm rarely that lucky.

The bricks that are damp are those with the DPC holes drilled in them, the couple of rows of bricks below, above and to the side are dry, it is just the few about this crack which are wet.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back