Problem with door contact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently the door contact isn't registering when the alarm is set...

If I type in the code and leave the house there is no change in the sound from the keypad, and when you come back in the house, the keypad doesn't beep to get you to disarm the alarm but will go off if you pass a PIR.

I did a walk test and all the PIRs are recognised but not the door contact.

Do the magnets go bad or can the unit on the door frame with the wiring go faulty? I can't see any moving parts but don't know how they work.

There has been no other work in the vicinity that may have nicked the cable, I'm a little worried that it may be the pcb.

Sponsored Links
The reed switch in the door contact can go faulty after a while, they are pretty cheap and easy to replace. Would be the first thing I'd look at.

The actual switch is magnetic. Sometimes if the door is shut too long the switch becomes magnetised and stays closed, even though the door is open.
A temp fix is to open the door and hit the contact with the handle of a large screwdriver, this does sometimes work, but is only a temp fix but do get a new contact as it will happen again.

Maplin sell contacts, other suppliers are available

Sponsored Links
oh, it will work, trust me. (unless you have squashed the cable)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back