problem with exstension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can any one help me out please. im building a exstension and the bricky has built it 7cm to big on the front of the house and its a double side exstension and the building inspector has not noticed it. but my neigbour as as he told me and hes not happy so what will happen will i av to nock the front wall down. as the roof due to re tiled on tuesday :(

Sponsored Links
its not really to do with building control it is more an issue for planning.

7cm is not exactly a lot and even if they took issue with it then there is potential to apply for an amendment or similar. Better bet would be to ask this in the planning and regs section!

As an aside, how has this happened and more importantly how has your neighbour been able to spot this minute deviation from the plans?

As mentioned Building Control probably won't give a hoot about 7cm.

It is only the Planners that you need to consider really. If you are in breach of your Planning Permission and have built it too big then technically the Planners could ultimately get you to knock it down! If you're neighbour kicks up a fuss though, the council may be obliged to follow his complaint through, really a difficult one to advise on tbh. One would hope the Planners would be pragmatic and accept this as a minor oversite regarding tolerance.

Although if the shoe was on the other foot............

Is there more to your neighbourly relationship we should be aware of?

PS give your Bricky a slap and tell him to get his eyes tested.

Who said the building's too big by 70mm?

Do the planning approved drawings have dimensions on them and you/your neighbour has taken an on-site measurement?

Sponsored Links
next door as an exstension as well so my new wall should b flush with his but it sticks out a bit its noticeble because its 150mm away from his and its flush at the back and not at the front cheers

So what if your neighbour has built his extension 70mm too small?

As mentioned, do the planning approved drawings have noted dimensons or is it done by scaling?

how on earth has your brickie managed to cock that up? When he was taking up that corner surely it would have been glaringly obvious!

First call is to the planners to see if they would regard it as a minor error and would not enforce it even if he complained. Then if they would enforce it try to stop him complaining by offering your neighbour a sweetner so that he will overlook it as that will be cheaper than the possibility of having to knock it down and re-build or the hassles of trying to get planning amendments etc.

Does he have a small wall that needs building or a room needing plastered or something you could get your tradesmen to do for him when you have them on site? paying a day or two's labour may leave him pretty happy and you can forget the whole problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back