Problem with Ideal S24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,
We have been having some problems with our system. A couple of times recently the heating has been on happily, both downstairs and upstairs circuits, plus hot water. Then I've noticed the radiators going cold. When I checked the boiler, it was making a normal amount of noise but had no flame. Turning the thermostats up or down made no difference. A green light was flashing 2 times a second ( it is normally slower) but not as fast as 4 times a second which the manual says is a fault code. No lockout light was on either and the pressure was above 1 bar. If i turned the system off on the electronic timer in the kitchen and then back on, the system fired up straight away and it came on normally this morning as well. I'm a bit of a worrier and wasn't sure if the boiler operating without a flame might lead to any serious problems like gas buildup. We have been having some loss of pressure over the last year but the expansion vessel was repressurised and the loss has slowed down (I realise this needs sorting too). Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
It will not do any harm to the boiler or create any unsafe situation.

I suspect the boiler flow switch is not being reliably activated.

Probably due to sludge which has formed because you were topping up too often instead of getting the leak fixed!

Tony

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain why the boiler seems to be going without any flame and how the boiler flow switch effects this? Does gas only flow after some sort of signal?
Ta

The flow switch has to be enabled before any flame can be started!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I guess that I can get an electrician to check out the circuit from the thermostats to the valve to at least narrow down what might cause the valve not to open properly. I don't think it can be sludge as when we drained the boiler to repressurise the expansion vessel, the water seemed pretty clean. We checked with a little magnet device as well which didn't pick up any debris.
Thanks again

Re-reading your email makes me think I might have misunderstood. I assumed the flow valve was the one in the airing cupboard which is a Drayton ZA5. Am I right in thinking you are actually talking about a part in the boiler itself?

Re-reading your email makes me think I might have misunderstood. I assumed the flow valve was the one in the airing cupboard which is a Drayton ZA5. Am I right in thinking you are actually talking about a part in the boiler itself?

Yes, he is. Flow switch inside check that water flow/pump is running before letting the fan/gas valve on.

You will need a rgi boiler engineer to check out.

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back