PROBLEM WITH OLD VINYL TILES/BITUMEN LIKE ADHESIVE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm new to the site so please be gentle :p

Having a real nightmare with my kitchen floor and I was really hoping someone kind and amazing out there could give me some very much needed advice!

I would like to lay porcelain floor tiles in my kitchen to replace old vinyl that the previous owner had put down. I thought it would be an easy job as the space is relatively small and the floor looked and felt level. However, on lifting up the vinyl we have found years and years worth of different adhesive vinyl tiles and patches of concrete which I can only assume were laid to even out the floor owing to missing vinyl tiles.

The nightmare I'm facing is due to the tar like/bitumen like adhesive which has remained on the floor once I have scraped the tiles off. I have tried everything from heat gun to sugar soap to bleach and with very little success. The sub floor is concrete.

I've read that its possible to use a coating of BAL SBR bond to prime the floor before adhesive but I'm concerned about the difference in the level. Could anyone please tell me if there is a self levelling compound that we can use which would coat any remaining bitumen residue allowing us to lay onto a level and solid floor.

I really am dreading this little project but totally fed up of living with a kitchen floor that looks such a mess so I need to get it done asap so any help/advice would be very very much appreciated.

Happy Easter by the way,

Regards,

Nikki

Sponsored Links
How uneven is it?
Most powdered adhesives can be used to a thickness of up to 10mm, with some patience you can level it out whilst tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back