Problem with roller shutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove a Bog standard roller shutter door but don't know how to release the spring tension. Can anyone tell me generally how to remove this shutter? It's a shop window type one with no manufacturer's mark on it.

Plus should i fill the holes left in the brickwork, or am i fussing? They look about 5mm across and about 5cm deep, in garage wall pillars.

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any advice on dismantling a roller shutter? I think i can do the job but not sure on how to release the spring tension safely.

Sponsored Links
I don't know anything about roller shutters but if their anything like garage doors surely when they are fully down the spring is under more tension :?:

You should not release the tension, you should wind it fully down, then you will find a hole at one end that goes through the shaft and the cylinder, put the biggest nail you can through this hole, you may need to move the door up/down slightly to get everything to line up.

Once you have put the nail through you can release the door from the cylinder and start to strip the rest out.

Hope that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back