Problem with Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had two Salamander RF shower pumps which both failed after 12+ years excellent service on a gravity system. I bought like for like replacements (although Salamander did mention the manufacturer had changed and the new ones are “a bit more fussy”). Cold water tank is in the loft, HW cylinder on the 1st floor with a surrey flange (no anti gravity loop). I’m pretty sure both are 22mm supply reducing to 15mm by the time the pumps are reached.

One pump WAS in the loft and fed the main bathroom shower, the other was (and is) at floor level in the ensuite and feeds a ceiling level rain head shower with in-wall thermostatic valve.

We had great problems getting the new pump in the loft to run. In the end I gave up and relocated it at floor level by the bottom of the HW cylinder, problem solved.

The pump for the ensuite has been a real pain. First it wouldn’t run, then it would run and not turn off when the thermostatic valve was closed, I had to turn off the power to the shower pump. Then it just stopped working at all. Some health issues followed for a year or so and we didn’t rely on the ensuite shower, so it got left as it was.

I now need to get it sorted but plumbers I speak to don’t really know what the issue is. Any ideas?

Thanks
P.

Sponsored Links
RF pump, do you mean a RP pump?

The components that control the pump on and off are the flow switches, I'd look there to start with. Filters etc been checked?

Hi Madrab, yes I meant RP pumps. Last plumber checked the filters and gave the pump a good shake. What else could be the problem? Pump has literally been used no more than 6 times since new. But warranty now expired!

Sponsored Links
Turn water off have a towel ready and remove front cover of pump housing to see if it is all rotating freely by hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back