Problem with Tractor Mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mountfield 1538H (2019) tractor mower and have recently replaced the transmission belt (Part No 135062020/1), Spring (125430262/0), Pulley (125601554/0) and Hydro Fan Kit (1139-2201-01). As you will appreciate, this involved dismantling much of the mower. My problem is that having reinstalled everything, the engine cuts out as soon as I try to move forward or back (ie as soon as the switch triggered by moving the forward/reverse pedal is disengaged). The engine also cuts out when I attempt to engage the cutting blades. I believe this is what one expects to happen if the hand brake is engaged but the hand brake is not engaged and, in carrying out the work, I did not touch the hand brake switch. Incidentally, if I hold the switch in that would normally disengage when attempting to move forward or back, the tractor does move forward or back but he engine still cuts out when trying to engage the cutting blades. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

The only thought I had was that I might not have reinstalled the electromagnetic clutch correctly (having had to drop this down to get the transmission belt on). There is also a spring connected to the elecromagnetic clutch that fell off and it is possible that I reinstalled this incorrectly. I attach a photo showing how these parts look after I reinstalled them.

Hoping to hear from someone
Steve

Attachments

• Mower.jpg
    Mower.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
I think I'd carefully go through the various electrical interlock switches - for example, the engine cuts if the footbrake is locked on, and it also tends to stall if you lift yourself out of the seat.
I've disconnected most of mine!
John :)

Thanks both for your suggestions. It turned out that it was a faulty switch on the handbrake - just a coincidence that this went wrong when I was doing the other work I guess. Rather than replace the switch, which is difficult to get to, I just removed the connectors and put a piece of wire between them (to simulate the hand brake being disengaged).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back