Problem with waterlogged kingspan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In order to build my extension I had to demolish a conservatory. Now that the extension is done, what's left of the conservatory is a 2.5m x 3m slab surrounded by dwarf wall.

I want to tidy this up and reinstate a conservatory, but have noticed that the last six months of rain have caused the 100mm kingspan under the concrete to become waterlogged.

I've not helped matters by paying great attention to DPM detail during the build, meaning that the conservatory DPM was made good, lapped in to the new house DPC/DPM, and has been a water tight swimming pool, in which the slab and kingpan have been bathing all winter.

I've read on other posts that PIR board is non porous and this shouldn't really be possible. What I'm seeing is that when I prod the side of the PIR board with my finger, water oozes out. I've snapped a 50mm edge off to see how far the water has penetrated, and it seems to have travelled well in to the board.

Does this just look worse than it is? can I expect it to dry out eventually? It's foil sided board so I'm not sure if the water will soak back up in to the concrete particularly well.

:(

Gary

Sponsored Links
I thought it was fairly closed-cell?

me too... I'm sure I've read it on here before but I couldn't get anything with the search. Perhaps it looks worse than it is, and I'm just squeezing the water out from between the cells, but actually it's only 10% water. I'll see if some of my broken off pieces float in a bucket of water.

have you tried asking Kingspan themselves?

No - good idea!

Sponsored Links
A 120 gram chunk displaces 200ml of water, so I make that 60% saturated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back