Problems on damp proof course of new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been in our new build property for approximately 6 months (first people to live in) and it’s probably been standing around 18 months.

When we first arrived, there was a couple of vertical mortar joints that needed filling but since we have been here noticed in particular one side of the house on the damp proof course seems to be deteriorating.

Firstly it seemed to be the tops of the vertical joints breaking away in the top corners but now there’s seems to be little splits in the horizontal bits.

I am waiting for the builder to come back to me but wondered if anyone could advise likely reasons why this is happening.

Sponsored Links
These were left open when built, for one or another reason, and then not properly filled in by the apprentice or labourer later with a different random mortar mix.

why this is happening.

Its typical lazy top course perp pointing. Its slightly more difficult to retain the perp mortar on a top or finishing course of bricks than those below. Mostly just lazy/speed building. Also, brickies don't benefit from being able to top and tail old to new when starting off the DPC as easily either. Again, it takes a bit of time - summat site brickies don't have a lot of. The cracking beds are because they are overly thin. Not ordinarily a problem with engineers but it looks like they took too long with the level on a thin bed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back