Problems with hotmail and Outlook Express in XP SP2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed XP SP2 on my PC. Everything seems to run OK except for using email.

I have always used hotmail previously but SP2 default email option is set to Outlook Express. The problem here is that when I open the email inbox or when I send a message I keep gettng the following error condition raised:

The server does not support the required HTTP methods. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Method Not Allowed', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC35.

Regardless of this error condition the message seems to be received by the recipient but clearly there is something amiss.

Alternatively, if I set the email option to hotmail I have to keep inputting my email address and password. Even though an option exists here to 'Save address and password' it does not seem to do so.

Also is there a quick way to transfer addresses stored in hotmail to Outlook Express?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
jimscreechy said:
re: NAV 2002, Outlook Express, and Hotmail
Wednesday, July 3, 2002 at 1:01 am
Posted by jimscreechy (6 messages posted)
Please note there are three possible causes to this problem, the first is a virus (which incidentally cannot be detected my Symantec Norton Antivirus 2002 I suggest you use Quickheal, which is available for download at www.tucows.com {and is worth purchasing})

The second is that described on Microsoft Technet Q311022 and is caused by incorrect configuration of identities.

The third and by far the most common and unfortunately undocumented - insofar as I have been able to determine, is caused by the blocking of cookies in your security settings. You have to at least allow for session cookies in your Internet explorer to send messages to hotmail via Outlook Express. (Must be some recent changes in the hotmail setup because it didn't originally have to have this requirement as far as I can remember.... about 5 minutes) Anyway, to solve the problem. Close Microsoft Outlook Open Internet Explorer. Click tools - Internet Options - Privacy - Advanced If you have cookies blocked, which you no doubt do if you have this problem, then check the always allow session cookies box. Then click OK and exit the settings. Restart Outlook express and the problem is solved.

;)

Actually there is no problem having cookies blocked when using Outlook Express. This though is not the case when I swop over to hotmail and find that cookies need to be accepted before I can sign-in.

free hotmail account do not support outlook

Sponsored Links
Been running a backup - hence little used, just enough to keep alive - Hotmail freeby mail account via Outlook Express for several years now .. runs ok.
I do read of 'non-support' but take that to mean 'no-help' ??

:D

pipme said:
Been running a backup - hence little used, just enough to keep alive - Hotmail freeby mail account via Outlook Express for several years now .. runs ok.
I do read of 'non-support' but take that to mean 'no-help' ??

:D

i used to use hotmail thru outlook for a while but then it kept givin me error messages. tried a few things then checked hotmail and it said that free accounts dont support outlook and you have to use it web-based. so i just used my ISP email and never used my hotmail since.

Found LINK Hotmail to O Exp Pretty well describes how to insert the account into Outlook Express.
This is an old MSN communication .....
Dear MSN Member,
Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.
We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express.
Because you actively use Outlook or Outlook Express to access one or more of your MSN Hotmail or MSN e-mail accounts, this could be the ideal time to consider subscribing to our powerful new
e-mail service - Microsoft Office Outlook Live.
As an Outlook Live subscriber, not only can you get uninterrupted access to your MSN e-mail accounts from Outlook, but you will also enjoy many other benefits.
~~~~
At some stage I am sure I recieved an error message as per original post ... I am sure I cured all by exporting all e-mail 'account details' then (re?) installing the latest Internet Explorer from M$, followed by importing the e-mail account details into the fresh Outlook Express.
It may have been a security update problem at some stage, (I keep them up to date), perhaps similar to the Help 'TroubleShooters' demise which at least affects Win98Se... (found a cure for that too !!)
;)

Thanks very much, Pip, for that link. I've had a browse and it looks very useful. I'll try it when I can.

The reason I am so late in getting to post back is due to dropping my favourite book (the Collins Complete DIY manual) off the mantlepiece on to the modem which was rendered into 1,000 fragments. :evil: Anyway got a free replacement out of the ISP which I suppose isn't bad. So I will connect up tonight.

Thanks again. :)

Sponsored Links
Back