propane or butane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.... hope i've got the right topic.......... i have just bought a new barbeque and the regulator is for a propane gas bottle. my old barbeqe had a butane regulator and butane gas bottle. is it permissable to change over the new propane regulator and put my old butane regulator on rather than have to swap my half full butane gas bottle to a propane one. i would think the barbie will run on butane or propane as long as the correct regulator was used.
cheers
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
I know someone who runs a caravan business and what you would like to do is common practice. Because patio gas (Propane, which is what barbies run on) is dearer, they swop the regulators on the barbies so that they'll take butane.
Propane is more suitable for outdoor use, because it has a lower boiling point, i.e. it gives off gas at a lower temp than butane but I think the burning properties are similar enough to allow them to be interchanged.
HTH

might as well cook indoors, gas barbques don't impart any flavour to the food.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Its the fat from the food that drips down and goes back into the heat that makes the food taste like a barbque.

Andy

Its the fat from the food that drips down and goes back into the heat that makes the food taste like a barbque.

Andy
glad you mentioned that... my old barbie had volcanic rocks above the burner and the fat dripped onto these. my new one is just a burner. i've kept the rocks , do you think it would impede my new barbie if i put the rocks in ( not sure if it's meant to work with rocks )
mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back