Protect childs play house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have just brought my daughter a wood play house to go in the garden. We used some of that Curpinol Garden Shades on it to make it look nice and (perhaps stupidly) thought that the "4 years protection" on the tin might mean it was a treatment to protect from rot. Anyway on closer inspection it says that you need to pre-treat the wood too which we didn't do.

So my question is can I put a coat of clear varnish or anything else over the top to retain the paint job but protect it from the rain?

Also for some strange reason the roof is also wood but without any kind of felt or other protection. Again will a coat of varnish protect it from the elements or will I have to bite the bullet and buy some felt?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
In order of your questions

No - And unless the wood is in contact with the ground I wouldn't worry too much about it.
No - varnish on the roof won't do much.
Yes - get some felt or other roof covering.

And look on the bright side...

Your daughter will most likely get bored of it long before it becomes unuseable :D

Thanks for the quick comeback....

In same order:

only the base of the playhouse is in contact with the decking that it stands on, and the base is a sheet of ply(?) with bearers running front to back, so only the bearers contact and there is room for air flow underneath.

Will get some felt then and pop that on the roof.

Not too bothered about the daughter getting bored of it, more wanting to protect the investment. Got the play house on a great deal and in good condition they sell on ebay second hand for more than I paid brand new :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back