Protected zones - do they apply externally?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Need to run some lighting cable in a yard for wall lights. Do the internal protected zones apply to external cable routes also?

The cable will be getting rendered over, so mechanical protection-wise will chasing a channel and metal capping suffice, or is there a preferred alternative?

The circuit will be electrically protected by RCD etc.

thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no good reason that i can see not to follow permitted zones for concealed cables in an outside wall.
If you are rendering the wall deep enough you can clip the cables on the surface. Capping is also optional - talk to whoever is doing the rendering, see which they prefer.

Thanks both.
I'll likely chase a channel (depending upon the render thickness) within the usual protected zones.

Sponsored Links
There is no good reason that i can see not to follow permitted zones for concealed cables in an outside wall.
Not only "no good reason" but, unless I've missed it, I don't think there is anything which BS7671 says about such things that excludes 'outside walls', is there?

Kind Regards, John

Would you consider using Metal Conduit to run the cable in?

Not only "no good reason" but, unless I've missed it, I don't think there is anything which BS7671 says about such things that excludes 'outside walls', is there?

Kind Regards, John
Nope, but the zone 'within 150 mm of the ceiling' implies the focus was on internal walls.

Would you consider using Metal Conduit to run the cable in?
Only if I could get the conduit sunk deeply enough into the wall such that it could then be renedered over, surface mount is not an option in this scenario

Nope, but the zone 'within 150 mm of the ceiling' implies the focus was on internal walls.
Sure, and that 'focus' makes sense, given that interest will be on 'indoors' in the great majority of cases - but such a focus does not imply that external faces of walls are 'exempt'.

In practice, there's really only going to be a potential issue if the wall is rendered (c.f. 'plastered over'), and that the render is 'made good' very well, since the routing of a buried cable would otherwise be obvious. However, if a buried cable were properly 'concealed' by render, then I see no reason why there would not be the same concern about that as there would indoors.

Since you have mentioned it ( :) ), I wonder if the 'roof'; of say, a porch or carport would qualify as a 'ceiling' in this context?!

Kind regards, John

Sure, and that 'focus' makes sense, given that interest will be on 'indoors' in the great majority of cases - but such a focus does not imply that external faces of walls are 'exempt'.

In practice, there's really only going to be a potential issue if the wall is rendered (c.f. 'plastered over'), and that the render is 'made good' very well, since the routing of a buried cable would otherwise be obvious. However, if a buried cable were properly 'concealed' by render, then I see no reason why there would not be the same concern about that as there would indoors.

Since you have mentioned it ( :) ), I wonder if the 'roof'; of say, a porch or carport would qualify as a 'ceiling' in this context?!

Kind regards, John
Healthy conversation - I like it!

The wall isn't rendered yet so this is technically 1st fix work. I've yet to ask the guy how thick the render will be though I am assuming I'll be chasing a channel to get it deep. On the topic of cable suitabability, I'm thinking arctic flex..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back