PTFE or Paste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When and where should you use ptfe tape and when and where should you use jointing paste? Can these ever be used together and when shouldn't they be used?
It would be great to have a clear understanding of this.

Sponsored Links
Lay-co slic tite is good stuff

p4751482_x.jpg

On gas Only use gas grade ptfe and never use both as it causes a reaction and then leaks one or the other on gas

As a general rule;

PTFE TAPE - if you're sealing a thread eg. wind some clockwise onto the thread of a radiator tail where it screws into a radiator.

JOINTING COMPOUND (Boss White) - put a light smear on an olive just before you push the olive and pipe end into a compression fitting.

N.B.
Don't use PTFE tape on olives.
Tap connectors don't need anything except their fibre washer - just make sure the nut is quite tight.

Others may disagree with the above. It was what I was taught, and has never let me down.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I appeare a little facetoius, but the original poster did'nt specify what he wanted to seal :D
and as a matter of interest, slic-tite does most everything, £15 a tub could be a little off putting though, even if it is good for steam i still prefer to use foliac ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back