Pull cord switch fails to switch off light and extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a pull cord switch in my downstairs toilet, which also activates a timer controlled extractor fan.

Since yesterday, pulling the cord is not turning off the light, in fact it only dims a little and stays dimmed but does not switch off. The extractor fan also stays on consequently.

Apart from a faulty pull cord switch, what could be the other possibilities that I should be looking at? Faulty earthing?

Cheers,
DSG

Sponsored Links
Loose cable in the pull switch terminal block is another possibility.
Make sure you isolate the power before you start looking at these cables.
However, it is likely to be your first thought.

It already comes from the lighting circuit, and it won't have rewired itself overnight.

Just get a new switch.

Sponsored Links
Could the extractor fan permanent live be feeding into the light circuit?

If you have lost your neutral somewhere then yes maybe the permanent feed is feeding back to the lamp /switchline via the fan

As I suspected, changing the switch did not solve the problem. So I removed the extractor fan and light switches off as normal.

So next job: replace the extractor fan. Thankfully I can find a like for like replacement.

Will post again if even that does not work!

As I suspected, changing the switch did not solve the problem. So I removed the extractor fan and light switches off as normal.

So next job: replace the extractor fan. Thankfully I can find a like for like replacement.

Will post again if even that does not work!

Try just disconnecting the fan first and see if the light then works as normal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back