Pulsacoil 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all new to forum, hope this helps anyone that has a similar issue.

I recently had no hot water coming from my Pulsacoil 2000 boiler, which also had a constant buzzing noise coming from the pump control board.
Cold shower :eek:

The flashes from the LED on the Pump control board were: ** ** ** ** ..... & so on.
In the manual it shows this as being normal operation. hmmmmm!?

I could feel that the 2 immersions were heating the thermal store as the pipework was hot, but soon as i turned the hot tap on- no hot water... also i couldn't hear the pump working.

I turned on a hot tap then checked the voltage at the pump, & found very low voltage (with the tap open it should be sending plenty of voltage to the pump so it can circulate the hot water around the heat exchanger + thermal store).

:idea: So now i knew the pump wasn't being switched on enough by the pump control board.
To confirm my suspicions i took the plastic cover off the pump & temporarily wired a 3 pin plug extension in to it, then i plugged the pump into the wall sochet 230v.... turned a hot tap on & also switched pump on at the wall.... bingo! hot water again! :D

So now i knew the pump control board was definitely not supplying voltage to the pump when hot tap open.

I then decided to check the DHW sensor because it tells the PCB what the water temperature is going to the hot tap, & if it tells the PCB that the water is not hot enough, the PCB sends more voltage to the pump thus pumping more hot water through the heat exchanger.
I found high resistance when checking the DHW sensor, & as a new DHW sensor (GT153) was local to me for £30, instead of £130 for a new pump control board, i took the cheaper gamble.

I replaced this sensor.... bobs your uncle & fannys your aunt! Sorted!
All working! Even the buzzing sound from the PCB stopped!
So even though the PCB LED flashes were saying that the sensor was normal.... It was telling me porky pies! :rolleyes:
This is why i also replaced the other sensor (GT146 PHE sensor) at a later date, as good practice in case this one was also faulty.

Hope this helps anyone also in trouble with their Pulsacrap 2000.

One more thing, i did make sure the electric supply was off each time i fiddled with the wires, as i'm alive to write this. :cool:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back