Pump Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if someone could advise me on which pump to purchase for my shower?

This weekend we purchased a pump from B&Q 2.0 bar and fitted a new shower enclosure and Roman shower. Everything is great - except for two things.

1. The pressure is useless - it's a 2.0 bar pump but like I said the preassure is useless.

2. The shower head does not pull the water to kick in the pump when turning it on. If I lower the showehead a certain distance then the pump kicks in and pulls the water.

It seems that my cold water tank is too low for the shower head. I didn't think it would make a difference. It seems that I have two options -

a. move the cold water tank up the attic - which is a tough one in this old house.

b. fit a 'negative head' shower pump. Such as the Salamander ESP 100 CPV twin (3.3bar should be enough).

Could someone please confirm that the second option is the one to go for? The tank only needs moving a meter or so higher according to the instructions, but the work involved in this is extensive.

A lot of waffle, but quite simply, does the negative head shower pump pull the water through as well as pumping it onwards?

Cheers

GJE

Sponsored Links
what type of shower head are you using ?
is it a standard or a large 8" rain shower type as 3 bar pump to run a shower is over the top.
as for moving the tank i'd rather move tank than pay £300 plus for another pump.
all pumps pump not pull water.

what type of shower head are you using ?
is it a standard or a large 8" rain shower type as 3 bar pump to run a shower is over the top.
as for moving the tank i'd rather move tank than pay £300 plus for another pump.
all pumps pump not pull water.

Hi Seco,

Thank you for the advice. The Roman shower we have has two heads which can be alternated between. We have the standard power shower head and also the 8" rain shower with body jets. It is an RVEBM.

I realise pumps pump, LOL - so how do these negative head pumps work?

Thanks again,

GJE

all i know on the esp pumps they have micro electronic sensors and can tell if you have a pos / neg situation which is shown on the pump by two led's.
but they do work very well good reliable pump.

Sponsored Links
A "Negative" head pump stores pressure, which you release when you turn the tap on. So there's flow, which triggers the flow switch. So they DO pump "uphill".
2 bar should be pretty reasonable, but more pressure feels better because the water speed is higher. But watch the flow, you might find you empty your tank in a couple of minutes.
I compromised, but not a lot. My pump's 4.5 bar.

all i know on the esp pumps they have micro electronic sensors and can tell if you have a pos / neg situation which is shown on the pump by two led's.
but they do work very well good reliable pump.

Thanks SS - I've read about the LEDs that show what happens on the pump. Of course the main issue is that they are expensive - but compared to what I may have to go through to move the tank, it could be a price worth paying.

My next job is to decide on a Salamander pump, or another make. A lot of people here seem to think the Salamanders are noisy. Stuart Turner pumps look to be quality.

Regards

Gareth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back