Pump direction

Sponsored Links
Here's a revised drawing showing the correct connection - if your drawing is correct

On which floor is the boiler located? From the diagram it looks as if the boiler and HW cylinder are both on the first floor.

both on the ground floor. Thanks for the drawing D_Hailsham.

AlanE wind your sad lonely neck in.

both on the ground floor. Thanks for the drawing D_Hailsham.
Is it a bungalow by any chance?

You show a flow going up through the ceiling to the rads and a return coming down. You also show a return coming up from the floor but no flow going down into the floor. Where is the flow going down into the floor?

If your drawing is correct, the cylinder return can join the main return anywhere between the boiler and where I put it. It's just a case of finding the easiest location.

Sponsored Links
No D_Hailsham. The boiler is in the garage which is attached to the house and the utiliity room with the hot water cylinder is at the same level as the garage if that makes sense.

Ok I am with you just checked and there is a flow going down into the floor.

My apologies I missed this off the original drawing.

So I have a common feed to the ground and first floor of the house and the return tees into two different places on the return to the boiler. return going from the concrete floor is before the tank tee and the one from upstairs joins the return after the tank and this makes it the last feed before the boiler and by the sounds of it is the route of the problem.

D_Hailsham thanks a lot for taking the time to look at this.

No D_Hailsham. The boiler is in the garage which is attached to the house and the utiliity room with the hot water cylinder is at the same level as the garage if that makes sense.
Got it.

Ok I am with you just checked and there is a flow going down into the floor. My apologies I missed this off the original drawing.
No probs

So I have a common feed to the ground and first floor of the house and the return tees into two different places on the return to the boiler. return going from the concrete floor is before the tank tee and the one from upstairs joins the return after the tank and this makes it the last feed before the boiler and by the sounds of it is the route of the problem.
That's definitely the problem. Hope you don't have to dig up the concrete floor to put it right.

The way the bypass valve is connected to the return could also cause the same problem. Connect the bypass to my blue pipe, so bothe the cylinder return and the bypass join the main return after any rad returns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back