Pump in the return pipework - LSV on which side?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if you have your pump in the return pipe, should the lock shield valve be on the return or flow side of the rad?

i understood that it doesnt matter whether its on the flow or return, but with the system being under negative pressure, i wondered does it make a difference, as a friend of mine says that if you have the LSV on the flow side it can affect the pressure adversly when its a pumped return

Sponsored Links
Lockshield on the return side is the usual recommendation. It will work either way so don't panic, but there's less chance of a blocked valve that way round. The pump won't see much difference either way.

depends were your trv is situated if you have one.pointless having the trv to the left or right if its near a wall. so basically the trv should be situated in a point were it would pick up heat more often.e.g center rather than a corner of a room.

Sponsored Links
Usually the innards of both lockshield and wheelhead valves are identical, it's just the plastic knob fitted on top that's different.

i know that.......

but all im asking is, the normal is to have the lock shield valve ( the one without the control knob on top) on the return pipe, but on a system under negative pressure ( with pump in the return) does it matter??

it seems not from the other posts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back