Pump overrun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my CH system I have 22mm (I think) pipe going to microbore manifolds. Off the manifolds there are 7 feeds each going to the 7 rads in the house. Each rad has a normal twist valve at either end but there are not TRV's. If I shut off all the feed valves on all the radiators (and the returns come to think of it) what would happen? The way I see it is that the pumped water can't actually go anywhere?

Sponsored Links
So whats your point - are you in the habit of turning off all the valves?

fair point..!

I'm curious as to how the system works though and this was something I'd been mulling over. I shall henceforth ensure all valves remain open!

Sponsored Links
The pressure will build up until your house explodes :LOL:

Alternatively, there might be a by-pass pipe hidden under the floor or in the airing cupboard for this very eventuality.

Generally, the radiator in the room with the wall thermostat in it has no TRV and should never be turned off, to prevent this happening.

Current regs demand an Automatic Bypass Valve, unless there's one built into the boiler.

The boiler can overheat, as you probably guessed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back