Purmo Panel Radiator

GSD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the summer we had a new Purmo Compact 1100mm wide x 600mm high double convector panel radiator installed. This was to supplement an existing radiator in the same room and the connections for the new radiator were taken from the pipework to the existing radiator. However the plumber assured us that the new radiator would be a full part of the normal central heating circuit and not be a slave or extension to the existing radiator. The inflow to the new radiator is to the bottom right and the outflow is from the bottom left via a thermostatic radiator valve.

Now that the colder weather has started and we've turned the central heating on we've noticed that the new radiator seems to take quite a long time to get up to full heat and noticeably longer that the other radiators in the circuit, and would be grateful if anyone could explain why this might be.

In addition I've noticed that on Purmo's website that normal connections to their panel radiators are for inflow to be at the top left or right and the outflow to be at the bottom left or right, either at the same or oposite end to the inflow. However if the inflow and outflow are both required to be at the bottom then the normal configeration for pre-plumbed radiators with a built-in valve system is for the inflow to be at the bottom left with the outflow being at the bottom right. However as our radiator has non Purmo external valves fitted at both ends I'm not sure that this applies. Again any help or advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

GSD

Sponsored Links
I've just had a thought. As the TRV controlling the new radiator is in a horizontal position just above the inflow pipe, which in turn runs along just under the radiator, is it possible that the heat from this is effectively causing the TRV, which is currently on maximum setting, to shut down prematurely? The plumber assured us that this wouldn't happen but I'd like to be sure that he was right. GSD

Sponsored Links
the way to test it is to remove the trv head.

this will effectively make the valve stay fully open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back